Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The Short and Tall of It

This morning we missed the bus--again--and I had to take M to school. He likes me to walk to his classroom with him, rather than drop him off in front of the school, and I like to catch this occassional glimpse of his classroom, root around in the lost and found box and say "hi" to his teacher. As we walked through the hallway toward the first grade room, I couldn't help but notice that many of the boys--seventh and eighth graders, I assumed--wandering the halls before school started were taller than me. Which doesn't make sense, because when I was in seventh and eighth grade, I was taller than all the boys. I can come up with only four possible explanations:

1) Motherhood has diminished my stature significantly (breastfeeding slouch anyone?).

2) Bovine growth hormones in dairy products and meat are increasing the stature of today's boys (although my mom used to monitor the playground when I was in early elementary school, and I remember the eighth grade boys being taller than her, and she and I are the same height).

3) There was a rash of freakishly small boys born in metro Denver in 1973.

4) I engaged in a bit of hyperbole when, as a pubescent middle schooler I compained that all the boys were short.

1 comment:

  1. All I know walking around our university town is that college kids look like-- well, kids. When did that happen? I am sure I looked older and sophisticated when I was in college. Just as I am sure I look youthful and hip now as a 38-year-old mom of three who drives a minivan and is really happy that she has said minivan. Right?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...