Thursday, February 5, 2009

Lovely Thing

Sometimes I wonder what I’m doing here with this blogging thing—shouting like the Who’s in Horton Hears a Who, “I am here, I am here, I am here…” And even more, I wonder why I waste so much time reading other blogs, why I’m more interested in the lives of people I’ve never met (and probably never will) than I am in those I actually see in person. Sure I get a lot of great ideas, interesting information and tons of inspiration, but I also get greedy for things, skills and a life I don’t have.

Then yesterday, after receiving some distressing news, I found myself turning repeatedly to blogs that consistently show lovely little snippets of life…like this one, this one, this one, and this one. It’s good to be reminded that life is a beautiful thing, no matter how painful or short it might be.

In other news, Papa is home, and we’re all glad to have him back. I managed to keep three kids clean, fed and relatively on schedule by myself for four-and-a-half days (hats off to full-time single moms). I even helped M build a model avalanche out of cardboard and cotton balls Tuesday night. I kept the kitchen and living room clean (by our standards, which are pretty low), but the clean-and-ready-to-be-folded laundry pile may at some point sprout legs and devour Manhattan. And that kitchen sink? Not even remotely shiny (what’s the opposite of shiny? Cesspool?). The compost bucket’s on the verge of overflow. The kindling is all used up (but the house is warm). I will miss snuggling with all three kids before bed and listening to M read Little House followed by reading a picture book to E and Z. And still this morning, even with C’s help, I was nowhere close to on time for work. But I am grateful for his safe return.

4 comments:

  1. what distressing news????

    meanwhile, i will think of you as i gear up for five days of single parenting (sun- thurs pm). p has a required grad school trip and yes, i am at the height of my job stress...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you!!!! Love, Horton

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andrea,
    Yep - monologuing into the blogosphere can feel pretty weird and not entirely fulfilling at times but - I hear yoooouuuu!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...