Thursday, April 18, 2013

Nature Journaling: Inside and Outside

Feeling a bit under the weather Sunday, I spent some time indoors, sketching a few of the Signs of Spring I have sighted (or heard) over the last couple of weeks.

And then I made this little Altoids watercolor palette. I had been looking for mini watercolor kits for my forthcoming Ireland trip (despite the fact that I don't actually know how to watercolor), when I ran across several tutorials on making an old mint tin into a watercolor set (one good one is here)


For my set, I used an actual Altoids tin that I found in the basement (and refrained from buying a new box of mints in a prettier tin). I glued down the plastic tray from a package of Peelu gum (after trimming off the edges to make it fi) and squirted some watercolor paint into each little pan. Then I used a wet brush to smush down the little peaks that formed when squirting the paint.


Monday I brought the tin, a few brushes and a spice jar of water down to the river to play around with. The tin worked a treat. Now I just need to get one of those fancy watercolor brushes that holds the water in its handle (oh, yes, and I also need to learn to paint!)

Previous Nature Journaling posts:  
See also Nature Journaling as Meditation for more on starting a nature journal.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...