Monday, September 22, 2014

Around the Yard at the End of Summer

Things are looking distinctly fall-ish around our homestead of late.

Which, I guess is only appropriate, since tomorrow is the first day of fall.

We had a frost Saturday morning, that finished off our basil and cucumbers (we never really had any tomatoes to speak of).

I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm not ready for it yet, the cold.

But then again, I never am.

Some bugs are still working away as if winter will never come.

At the same time, red is replacing green as the color of the landscape.

These sumacs are even redder today than when I took their picture yesterday.

And for wildflowers, we're down to mostly aster--with a hold-out goldenrod or late black-eyed Susan here and there.

There are a LOT of asters out there, and I'm trying to puzzle them out.


It's interesting how Mother Nature puts on her greatest show this time of year--most colorful flowers, riotous leaves--right before snuffing it all out. There's probably a life lesson in there somewhere, but for now I'll try to enjoy the show...and try to learn the names of some of these flowers.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting to see what's popping up (or in it's final act, perhaps) in other parts of the world. Our sumac is still mostly green, but the perennial sunflowers are going crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meryl--Our sunflowers (Jerusalem artichokes...is that what you have?). Haven't quite started blooming yet. I wonder if they'll get much in before they die back?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...