Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The Baseball Sandwich

I figured out that between them, the boys had about thirty baseball games this season. I didn't go to all of them, but I made it to most of them. Either way, that's a lot of rushing around. Happily, M's coach this season only made them be at the games by 5:30 (last year's coach had them there at 4:30!), but still, it doesn't leave a lot of time for cooking and eating a healthy meal. This sandwich, which Z refers to as "That sandwich I like," became a game night staple.


It's made with good bread––this is sliced wheat sourdough, but I've used bagels, ciabatta rolls and a whole big loaf of bread cut long-ways before––toasted, with pesto on one side and tomato jam on the other, and fresh mozzarella melted on top. I've taken to adding fresh spinach from the garden, and I like mine with a big slab of roasted red pepper. We've made do with thin slices of muenster when fresh mozzarella wasn't available, and I made myself one with no cheese last weekend, and it was almost as good (lacking that melty feel).

It felt good to have a quick, pretty healthy meal that my kids actually enjoy eating (Z asks for it all the time, but M passes on the tomato jam), and one that they could eat in the car. We just finished off the last jar of last summer's tomato jam. This year, I'll make more.

2 comments:

  1. That looks really good! I love when stuff is quick and delicious and pleases the children all at once!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these! They would also make a good "Hockey Sandwich" for our family. I'm always looking for something tasty and convenient to bring along. Must try tomato jam. I bet brie would be good too for a melty feel when you have to eat them cold.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...