Thursday, February 19, 2015

Adventures

Since Monday was a holiday and M had his voice lesson in Portland that afternoon, we headed down to the big city a bit early for a little adventure.



Which is a very weird place indeed.

But I have a fondness for strange museums (my favorite being the Mutter in Philadelphia).

I think that it would be fun to travel around the country, visiting these sorts of museums, and write a book about them (or maybe just a blog). Someone is probably already doing that, right?

I couldn't quite tell whether the museum was serious or not...I mean, it really felt like it was, but then again...big foot. 

Afterward, we walked several blocks to the music store and then several more to a pizza place. It was so unbelievably windy that day, and I was dressed for walking around in the city, not an arctic expedition (no long johns!). I honestly don't think I've ever been that cold. But I think I crossed the rubicon that day (I don't know if that's really the correct phrase for what I mean, but it sounds good). I went out to fill the bird feeder yesterday morning when it was 1.9 degrees F, wearing only my pajamas, a sweater, and one mitten (to keep my hand from freezing to the doorknob) and it felt downright balmy. Bring it, winter, I don't even feel the cold anymore.

On Tuesday, I took E and Z for a special behind-the-scenes tour of the teaching animals at Chewonki (a nearby camp).


We admired hissing cockroaches and dead rats (lunch) and a little alligator.

Plus the sweetest little saw-whet owls,

barred owls, 

screech owls, 

and great-horned owls.

All the animals were injured and are unreleasable for various reasons and are used for educational programs.

In the afternoon, we went to a nature journaling class at our nearby farm store, and despite their self-professed aversion to interacting with people, both E and Z's arms shot up in the air whenever the instructor asked a question, and they seemed to really get into sketching, which was fun to see.

The boys have just a couple days of vacation left, which they're spending doing their favorite thing--nothing at all. I wouldn't mind a little of that myself.

14 comments:

  1. What amazing adventures indeed! That museum sounds right up my alley. I love me some strange stuff. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Yanic! It makes me wonder what other kind of weird museums there are out there.

      Delete
    2. One of the places I would like to visit (creepy, but I'm weird that way) is the Island of Dolls in Mexico. Google it! You won't be disappointed!

      Delete
    3. Ooh, that is super creepy!! I find even regular dolls a little creepy (thank goodness I have boys--no American Girls or My Twin dolls staring at me from corners!!).

      Delete
  2. what fun times. i love museums like that, you can't help but read and wonder and ooh and ahhh. sounds like a marvellous time was had by all.
    doing nothing, that's what i need after this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't a doing nothing week be divine? I guess we'll get enough of that when we're old and infirm. :)

      Delete
  3. There's a Jello Museum near Rochester NY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely add that to the list! Thanks!

      Delete
  4. That does look like a weird and wonderful museum. A week doing nothing would that be fun? I'm not sure as long as I can knit...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm willing to give it a try...and of course knitting, reading, watching movies all count as nothing. I think it's more like "nothing except whatever I feel like doing at that moment" which definitely encompasses knitting!

      Delete
  5. OMG-I love the Mutter museum in Philly, too. We've not taken Benjamin...but Michael and I visited in our dating years (he knows how to treat a girl). ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband and at least one of my kids were disturbed and slightly nauseated by the Mutter, but I was fascinated.

      Delete
  6. This place looks like so much Andrea! I must check it out if I ever get into the area.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Denver Museum of Nature and Science is having an exhibit of dragons, mermaids, etc. coming up. I don't know when exactly, but I think you should bring the boys to see it! GN

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...