Wednesday, February 4, 2015

January Knit ~ One Last Cable

Over the weekend, I finished the last of my Ireland yarn cabled hats.

I had a little trouble with these cables, which is funny, since it was the last of six hats--I should have had the hang of it by now. Maybe it was the mirror-image cables that threw me off--or maybe it was trying to watch TV and knit at the same time (ahem). Several times I cabled in the wrong direction and didn't notice until I had knit to many rows to go back (there is no going back, only forward). The good news is that now I know how to knit a snake, if I should so choose. I came dangerously close to running out of yarn at the end, but made it with enough to spare for a couple more rows.

This is meant to be a slouchy hat, but maybe the yarn is too stiff, or something, but it comes to a gnomish point if I don't fold up the brim, so a brimmed hat it is. It's a little too big, despite having gone down a needle size. I'm tempted to throw it in the wash to try to shrink it down a little.

What are your thoughts on washing/blocking knitted items? I usually don't bother, unless it's something largish, like a shawl or sweater, but I wonder if I'm missing something.

Pattern link and notes, such as they are, on my Ravelry page.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I have ever blocked a hat but I do generally block most other knits if they need it. It's frustrating if something you make isn't quite right. It is a little small you could try blocking it gently to get a better fit? I love the colour of your yarn.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...