Thursday, February 27, 2014

Really Getting Somewhere

Okay, I hate to give play-by-play updates on this quilt, but I have been working on the damn thing for so long (3+ years now), that now that it's finally taking shape, I'm getting giddy.


Over the weekend, I finished putting together the top. I was feeling a little cranky about the shortcomings (the points of stars that got cut off, the corners that didn't line up, the star points the angle the wrong way, the secondary starts that look more like squished boxes).


Then I hung it up in the windows, and it took on this luminous, stained-glass effect, that made all of the flaws disappear, and left only starry loveliness.

Now I just need to put on the borders (getting a bit tricky with them to compensate for the short/wide dimensions of the top--should of had another row of stars. Oh well). And pick out a backing. And get it quilted. And sew on a binding. And put a button in the heart of every star.
Where the magic happens--sewing in one corner, writing in another, sleeping in the middle.

4 comments:

  1. Wow--that one has taken you math and cutting and so much work! Well done, it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the coolest collection of friendship stars I've seen. I love the quilt's haphazardness, its looseness; it reminds me of Van Gogh's Starry Night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Meryl! There was a lot, a lot, a lot of cutting. And some badly-done math (thus the too-shortness of the final product).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Rachel! What are friendship stars? I'm intrigued!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...