Monday, April 14, 2014

Month of Poetry, 2014, Day 14: April Abundance

In line at the grocery store I listened to
the bagger and checker discuss the weather:

"It just jumped so suddenly.
From the fifties to the seventies."

One said about the first opportunity
we have had to remove our parkas.

"Yeah, we don't even have spring anymore,"
said the other, oblivious, I guess

To the patches of snow lingering in the woods
And the tiny yellow crocus blooming beside

The walkway to my house, and the peepers
each night, growing their chorus of "spring-spring."

The winter was long and dark and cold
it is true. But worse than the weather were

The relentless complaints from people who in
a few months would be moaning about the heat.

2 comments:

  1. Um, do we live in the same neighborhood? :)

    Happy to have found your blog and lovely words, Andrea. I think we have a good bit in common. I'll stop back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Emily! And I suppose complaining about the weather might be a universal trait!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...