Monday, February 10, 2014

Weekend Things--Free Time












People keep asking me what I'm going to do with "all that free time" now that I've finished grad school. I try not to get too annoyed by this--anyone who has ever been a mother knows that every moment of "free" time has to be both stolen and dearly paid for. I know what they mean, kind of: now that I don't have homework as an excuse, how am I going to account for my movements in the evenings and on weekends.

I think I'll keep doing pretty much what I've always done: play Rat-a-Tat-Cat. Take walks in the woods. Make stuff. Read. Take pictures. Write. Submit. Field rejections. Get giddy over acceptances.

I sent out two short stories and an essay over the weekend. I'm trying to wrangle another idea--on a topic both dear to my heart and exceedingly complicated--into an essay. Dipping my toes into lyric waters. Trying to decide where I want to send my other short stories. Musing on a new story idea (thank the muse...I was afraid, as I always am, that I had spent my last idea). Working on a book review due at the end of the month. I've gotten back into yoga after a two-year hiatus and am trying to coax my body out of bed and to the pool at least two days a week.

What are you doing with your "free time" these days?

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...