Friday, June 13, 2014

Lady's Slippers

It's important to go to the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens in June, because Lady's Slippers.

More grow there than anywhere I've ever seen. Even along the parking lots (let's not think about how many were in the places the parking lots now are, okay?). And even more along the coast trail. But first, the Children's Garden.


I am madly in love with the book house. If I could do my house all over again...


Z loves the drying house.


Which right now is filled with little fairy houses. Maybe we could do this in our playhouse (but how do they keep out the bugs?)


The boys even spent a few, fleeting minutes cooking in the play kitchen.


Which also happens to be my dream writing studio (I think I take this picture every time we go, as if I could make it mine by taking enough pictures of it!).


I busied myself taking pictures of bees


and dragonflies



while they caught frogs and polliwogs. I think if I didn't have an agenda (lady's slippers and rhododendrons and a hike on the trails), they could spend an entire day at the frog pond. Next time, perhaps.


But this time, there were rhododendrons to see.



And lady's slippers.


(I crouched in a nest of biting ants while I was trying to draw this one).

The boys built fairy houses





and climbed through the giant pinecone


and "meditated" (I'm not quite sure the designers had this in mind for the reflecting pool in the meditation garden).


Then we hiked the longest trail in record time, the boys running ahead the whole way, like puppies, leaving arrows scratched in the pine needle duff so I'd know which way they went. Which I think means they're officially Big Kids, because they didn't whine or complain or require lollipops to bribe them along the trail.


E found some feathers


Along the way, we saw a number of flowers like this plant, perhaps some kind of lily? I should probably look it up in Newcomb's guide, or at least ask C what it is.


and, of course, more lady's slippers.

2 comments:

  1. Lady's slippers are not what I think those flowers look like. I like them, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I see what you mean, Lone Star Ma. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...