Thursday, September 4, 2014

Weekend Things--Easy Does It

Increasingly, Labor Day Weekend has become a time to rest up and recover for summer, and brace ourselves for all that fall brings--school, homework, soccer.


Again this year, we opted to spend just one day at camp, eating, lolling on the dock, trawling for fish from the boat, paddling to Ten Pound Island to pick blueberries and huckleberries.

At one point, the boys were all inside playing poker and I was sitting on the edge of the lake, reading a book, when I heard a rustling in the trees overhead and something large and feathered plopped into the water right in front of me. I let out a yelp of surprise (those inside the camp claim it was more of a shriek that could be heard echoing up and down the pond) and the osprey, no doubt as startled by its sudden drop as I was (I really do think it fell into the water) shook his wings and took off up the lake, trailing his last shreds of dignity.

On the way home, we stopped at John's Ice Cream for dinner, and ended up going into a cafe for French toast (the boys) and a veggie burger (me) first. It started to rain just as we got back in the car and made our way toward home and one last day of summer vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...