Monday, November 1, 2010

Devil, Devil

This is my favorite Halloween book:


The e.e. cummings poem, "hist whist"


with delightfully spooky illustrations by Deborah Kogan Ray.



It's one of my very most lucky library book sale finds.




I managed to encourage E and Z to be the devils for Halloween (E was right on board, but Z persisted in wanting to be a soldier--again--but I had a feeling that once E's costume came together, Z would come around, so I assembled the materials for both.

I have a friend who lets her kids be anything they want for Halloween, as long as the costume can be made out of a sweat suit.


So we started out with sweatsuits and, just as I was trying to figure out how to papier mache my kids' faces to make masks, we received a fortuitous visit from a little friend who had a felt devil mask.
Ah, yes, felt. The wonder fabric. I even used fusible webbing so they were completely no-sew.



Z, on the right, is the great green dancing devil, devil, devil...and E is just your basic orange devil.

And, apropos of nothing, there goes Percy Jackson running off to slay various titans with his gold sword slung over his shoulder.


We celebrated in style, with mock-pumpkin soup (that would be small, unripe green red kuri squash) and our traditional hay ride around the neighborhood pillaging the candy bowls at every stop, and rounding out the evening with C reading a ghost story (this year's selection turned out to be not all that frightening and half the audience fell asleep mid-telling).

Hope you had a spooky Halloween!

2 comments:

  1. Their costumes turned out really cute! Tell the twins that I like their very colorful devils.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...