Saturday, April 30, 2011

Month of Poetry, Day 30

Spring

At night, I brave mosquitos
and crack the screen-less window

To hear the all-night chorus
of the frogs' raucous love

Pea-brained amphibians
they have already forgotten

The snow and icy winter
that held them encapsulated in their tombs

Unlike me who sees the hyacinths
and daffodils and crocuses

And remembers my numb fingers
clawing away frozen mud

While planting five dozen bulbs
last Halloween

And those flowers make my heart ache
for I know we'll soon be parted

So I can't just enjoy their fragrance
while it lasts

I feel the same about my children
who every day grow more like men

Instead of embracing this day
I shed a tear for yesterday and tomorrow

It's time I learned a lesson
from those pea-brained amphibians

And stayed up all nights singing
for this only life I have


*******************************************************************************
Phew!  I did it.  30 poems in 30 days.  Thanks for stickin' around with me through it all.  

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations! That's quite an accomplishment, and there's really some good stuff in here. I hope you keep it up even if you're done with your little challenge. I had computer trouble and didn't comment nearly as much as I usually do, but I read all your poems and felt inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you!!! I've always heard that it takes a month to establish a habit...so maybe you will keep this up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Your poems are awesome, Andrea. I have enjoyed them so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate to this one! I also brave a screenless window these nights. And the boys turning into men, I get that all too well...my youngest is turning 14 this month. Changing into a man right before my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh & what I didn't say was that I enjoy your poetry. Which is unusual for me, I am not too into poetry. Keep it up, you have got something going on.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...