C bought me a copy that year for Christmas, but the pattern was too intimidating—157 squares, each made of 3/4" or narrower strips sewn painstakingly onto paper squares. Over the years, I made some other patterns from the book—M's baby quilt (in the second photo), both E's quilt and Z's quilt, a couple of pillow covers and, when those fell apart, another one. Over the years, I picked up fat quarters of fabric here and there, with this quilt in mind, but I held off on making it, partly out of a sense of duty to make quilts (both baby and big) for my children, and partly because it looked like so damn much work. Then, last winter, shortly after Christmas, inspiration hit, I made a rare Saturday trip to town to photocopy the paper pieces, and voila, I was on the move.
It did take a long time, but usually while I find the piecing part of making a quilt tedious, after the planning part, this quilt was planned one square at a time and I found choosing the fabrics and putting together each one like composing a little picture, which kept it interesting, even when I got to the 68 2" squares. So interesting, in fact, that I finished the top in less than a year, dropping it off at the quilter in November (this is about 1/3 to 1/7 the time in which I normally finish a quilt).
The book proposes this quilt pattern as a window blind, because it looks so gorgeously stained-glass-like backlit by natural light. But, it would fade and fall apart in less time than it took to make left to the devices of ultraviolet rays, so I added a border to make it big enough for a throw and had it backed and quilted with a pattern of interlocking circles, which you can't really see in these photos.
Despite having had precise-sized paper squres onto which I sewed the strips, it still came out a little wonky in a few spots. Still, I'm very happy with the result. The wonky bits give it character.
I think it was worth the 21-year wait.